Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Grrrr! More Ranting!

OK, here I am approaching my birthday. What does that mean? In Missouri it means that your drivers license could be expiring soon as mine does. Bruce, who turned 39 Nov. 21, already went through this with renewing his license. He told me there is a new law called "Show Me Proof" (isn't that cute, they try to ease it in by using our state slogan!). This new requires that you have Proof of Lawful Presence, Proof of Identity and Proof of Residency. In order to provide this proof you need a birth certificate. Sure, I have my birth certificate. It's filed away somewhere very safe. So safe...I can't remember where it is!!!

Well, I went to the local health department and paid $15 for a stamped and sealed copy of by b.c. and proceed to the renewal office. I pull ticket number 99 and they are on 88. As I am sitting there in the chairs they have posters all over saying "READ THIS!!!". I begin to read. If the name on your proof is not the name you are using today then you also need to bring proof of name change. C'mon! You're killing me!

I have a marriage certificate somewhere. Probably filed very safely with my birth certificate. In order to get a copy of the marriage certificate I have to go to the recorder of deeds in the county I was married in. That would be Buchanan which is about 4 hours away!!!! Grrrr...

OK...this is getting out of control! I understand we have an illegal problem and need to make sure that we are not giving drivers licenses to just anybody. But seriously, is killing the legal citizen with paper work going to correct this problem? I think not. It's just like gun control. Making more paper work for gun owners is not going to stop the thugs from getting their guns!! Please! What happened to common sense??

I understand that this is a lesson in my organization skills and I am working on finding that exact right system. (Flylady) I still say that all this paper work is going to do NOTHING to stop the ornery person who shouldn't have a drivers license from getting one! Remember before you were 21? Enough said!

1 comment:

rachel said...

I love Flylady! We had to have a new marriage license for our adoption. Apparently our old one was just a marriage certificate and not valid (who knew?). Anyway, we sent off for it in the mail and it took like 2 weeks to get it. Maybe you could do that?