Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I may be right...or I may be crazy!

I’m pretty sure I’m a hypochondriac and should not be watching shows like “Mystery Diagnosis” on the Discovery Health Channel. I watch these shows and then think I have most symptoms and fret about it for awhile until I drive Bruce crazy. But tonight’s episode the woman really did have a few symptoms like I have. The reason I had Marissa so early was because I suffered from the HELLP Syndrome. That is a condition when you’re pregnant and your body turns toxic to the pregnancy. Basically, it tries to fight the pregnancy. My symptoms were high blood pressure, protein in the urine, edema, pain that resembled gall bladder pains, low platelet counts and liver enzymes going out of whack. This occurred at the end of my second trimester around 24 weeks. My doctor told me the only cure would be delivering the baby. We were able to hold off for two more weeks (that was nothing more than God’s sovereignty) and then in an emergency C-Section Marissa was born. After delivery my blood pressure immediately came down but I had fever and serious infection. I was on triple IV antibiotics for 4 more days after delivery but then was released from the hospital with a clean bill of health. Well, as the days went on with Marissa in the NICU, I developed this rash on my hands. I went to the allergist as well as the dermatologists and they both said it was from stress. I took several doses of steroids, oral and topical, and it would help for awhile then just come back. Then one day I started itching. All over. My hands, my back, my head and I had red bumps all over! I called the dermatologists and they said to go to Urgent Care. There the doctor said I had an allergic reaction from eating fresh strawberries. I told him I’ve eaten fresh strawberries all my life when its strawberry season but he said that had to be it. He gave me two different drugs in an IV and sent me home with a anti-histamine for anxiety. Well, nobody could argue I had an anxiety problem with my little baby in the hospital on a ventilator! The thing is now I still have problems with my hands and I still get this crazy itch all over sometimes. Which brings me to the show on Discovery Health tonight…I think I still may be having liver problems! Now that I have a blog you all can experience my hypochondriac self diagnosis as well! Should I go to the doctor???!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think if you're still having symptoms and all the things they are saying caused it have changed, then you need to go back to the doctor and insist that they continue to look and see what is causing it.

Take your suspicions to your doctor. It's possible that he could overlook something obscure in light of all that has happened in the last few months.

I'll be praying for you.