Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Grrrrrr

Call me irresponsible, but I do NOT like the new car seat law that just went into effect here in Missouri. Here's the deal...you have to be 8 years old or 80 pounds or 4'8". Jake is exactly 7 1/2 years old, 50 pounds and 4'5". So he is soooo close to meeting the requirements of at least 2 of the 3 but close is no cigar. Bruce and I decided we would just take our chances on not having car seats but I heard on the news that is a primary law and we can be pulled over and fined just for that offensive!! To the tune of $250 for each kid not properly restrained.

Now I think most of you know that Bruce and I are protective parents if not even over-protective but this is just crazy! We think the car seat manufactures and the government got together on this one. Evenflo stock must have been falling. (pictured above is the Evenflo Big Kid Car Seat which we just purchased for $39.42 at Walmart) This is the problem...Papa and Lula like to take the kids to the Palace Theater when they have kid movies. They drive a Ford Conture. This is not a big car. There is no way we are going to get three car seats across the back seat! Another problem...the kids like to invite other kids to go to Incredible Pizza, the Farm, swimming, etc. how do we cart other kids around? Sure, transfer car seats yada, yada, yada, but why? My friend told me I would feel really bad if we were in a bad accident and something dreadful happened to my kid because they weren't in a car seat. Sure, but I would feel really bad if they were on their bike and had a bad accident but I wouldn't ban all kids from bikes! Accidents happen, that's why they are accidents. They could walk around in an armour suit all day long but if accident is going to happen, it's going to happen!

Don't even get me started on government intrusion!

Maybe this stems back from memories of standing in the back seat of my dad's old Pontiac boat of a car hugging his neck while he was driving! Sure we got tossed around in the car every once in awhile for a stop short or railroad tracks, but that's what you waited for! (Maybe that's what's wrong with me now...got my head jolted around too many times.) Jake, the next generation, heard that this was they law and he has a really good attitude about going back to a car seat as not to break the law. I'm glad that he is law abiding and not rebellious LIKE HIS MOTHER! OK, I'm not that rebellious...I don't want to pay the fine so they are in car seats! Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your sentiments Cindy. A few years ago some Coworkers and I were discussing virtually the same thing and one guy said, "It's like the government wants to wrap our kids in so much gauze that they could bounce off anything and live with no consequences."

I thought that was pretty insightful. Many people in government want to appeal to their constituencies by appealing to their sense of life without consequence. Take abortion for example.

I think it's hideous that anyone should think of a child as simply a consequence when clearly they are a blessing.

None the less, the government does exactly that, and a great deal of people think, "Abortion is the answer; I can have one and just move on."

We all know that that isn't true. Horrible gut wrenching remorse usually plagues those who follow through with that plan; but the Government is there to "protect us"

I would think that this car seat fiasco is yet another way to give the illusion of life without consequence. Clearly if a bad car accident occurs; a car seat isn't going to totally protect the kids. It would be interesting to see non-skewed statistics on how much safer a child of Jake's age is between being in a car seat, vs not.

Anyhow, my rant is over. I'm going to go curl up in a ball and put my head between my knees in case of a water landing.

(Not very likely as I'm not flying nor is a major body off water nearby, but we must be vigilant and protect ourselves of consequences no matter how minute!)

Cindy said...

Thanks Uncle Fred. Ya know sometimes my kids don't eat all their vegetables. Clearly, it's not good for them to not be eating the vegetables! Will the government feel the need to make me buy the 'force feeding vegetable eating machine' to ensure proper vitamin consumption? I know, why don't we allow a couple of trillion tax dollars to research this and make it happen!

See, the ranting never ends! I told you don't get me started! :)

Hillenblog said...

Cindy:

I have linked you to my blog...so get ready for a flood of comments...

just joking...

I did not know you were a blogger...I just thought you were a commentor. Welcome...belated...and way to "Rage Against the Man"...on the ole car seat law...

Next think you know...they will want all people under 5'2" to sit in a cars seat...and then MY cindy h. will have to be in one crazy...
and the Guard rails on 65Hwy...oh I digress...welcome to Hillenblog.com...I hope it;s Ok that I linked you...

Cindy said...

Cool bean dip! Thanks! I feel like I'm in the "in" crowd now! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the car seat law. kent is in the same category. He turns eight in December. We travel so much that it is just almost crazy. i hadn't even thought about the friends traveling with us will also need to be in one as well. Yikes!