Monday, August 07, 2006

Bike wreck

Friday morning Molly had a major bike wreck! I heard her scream and went running out the door to see blood gushing from her face. She had fell off her bike into the boat trailer and gashed (not just cut) a hole in her face right at the corner of her mouth. Ya know the lines that could be drawn from the corner of your mouth the chin? It was crossways in that line just centimeters away from her lip. I could hardly look at it because it was practically a hole through her face.

I put pressure on it and rushed her into the bathroom but turned her away from the mirror and got a wet wash cloth to try to see what kind of damage there was. It didn't look like it went all the way through but her gum was bleeding and cut but the tooth wasn't loose. I called Bruce to see where we should go...ER? Urgent Care? The peditrician? He said to call Urgent Care which I did but those people were really clueless! Just as I hung up from them the peditrician's office returned a call to me because I had called that morning to find out how much Tylenol to give to Marissa from getting her shots the day before. I quickly told them what had happen and they said come to them ASAP. I gathered up the other Molly and the other 3 kids and went screaming out the door. Later Bruce told me I left the coffee pot on, the oven on, and a roast sitting on the kitchen counter. Doesn't surprise me a lot...I was a little scared!

We got to Dr. G and he said that they could sew her up there but since it was on the face he wanted a Plastic Surgeon to do it. He called and got us in with Dr. H and sent us to his office. Once we got there they were going to do it in the surgery center of his office but when they found out she had eaten a Pop Tart about 2 hours prior to all this they didn't want to give her the local anthestic. So...off to the hospital for surgery to sew up her face.

We went to same day surgery and she was put all the way under so they could cut and shape the gash better to sew it up. She has 6 to 8 stitches. Interestingly, the doctor said that if she tans, the scar will tan darker than her face and when her tan fads, the scar will not. So we have to load the scar with sun block when she plays outside. ( So that's why all my bike scars on my knees are still there!)

She gets the stitches out next Friday. Saturday morning she was getting her tenny shoes on and I asked her what she was doing? "I'm going to ride my bike!" I'm glad to see it hasn't damaged her spirit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahhh yes. I did something similar to this at about her age, although mine wasn't as serious.

Glad Molly's okay. How're you hangin' in? ;-)