Friday, August 18, 2006

20 Years and counting

Yesterday Bruce and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. We spent yesterday (and the week coming up to it) talking about our wedding. I was a young bride of 18 and we were only engaged for 5 weeks (we dated for 5 months). My friends I picked to be my bridesmaids (4) asked me what kind of dresses they should wear and I told them to wear their prom dresses! They said they would not wear prom dresses in my wedding so they all got together and had dresses made the same style but different colors, blue, pink, yellow and green. It turned out really pretty for 1986. Even the little girls dresses were made the same.

The three tier wedding cake fell down. Bruce's little six year old niece at the time came to me telling him how the cake had fallen down and I didn't understand. I thought something horrible happened like Bruce left! I will never forget seeing my Aunt Joan scoop up the cake from the floor and put it all back together. It really looked OK! When I got my wedding pictures back there is a picture of me and Grandma in front of the cake and you can totally see the columns buckling! The cake didn't taste good at all...too much sugar or something and the bakery gave my mom a full refund.

Looking back now, we had no idea what we were doing planning a wedding. It was on a Sunday afternoon because Saturday evening was already booked for the church. Who gets married on a Sunday afternoon? It was nice though, we had lots of family and friends at our wedding and what a sacrifice it must have been for being on a Sunday and having to travel back home for work on Monday! Thank you!

I can't wait for 20 more years with my best friend, the father of my children, my lover, my provider, my protector, my husband, my everything!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 20th Anniversary. You two have had quite a year, but God has blessed you in every way! I hope you have 20 more also!

God Bless,
Dottie

Unknown said...

Congratulations on such a special milestone! The pictures are great. I, too, was a young bride (not quite as young as you were, but close!), and I'm looking forward to our 15th later this year.
God bless, and see you in November!